Colorado River At Wharton
Prospective landowners first came to the plains of the
Colorado River in 1822, having been led there by
Stephen F. Austin under contract with the Mexican
Government. The Mexican Imperial Colonization Law
of 1823 granted 177 acres to the heads of families for farming,
4428 acres for raising cattle and 80 extra acres for each
slave owned by the settler.During the time of the Republic of Texas, 1836-1846,
the area was divided into three counties: Matagorda,
Jackson, and Colorado, each consisting of isolated
plantation homes and two growing towns, Preston and
When Texas entered the United States in 1845,
Wharton County was formed of parts near the intersection of
mail routes from Matagorda to Columbus and from
Houston to Victoria.
There are eleven parks throughout Wharton. Above is Riverfront Park,
located under the 1930 Hwy. 59 bridge, is a relaxing atmosphere
for picnic and day use with barbecue pits, tables, and restrooms.
Take a relaxing stroll along the banks of the Colorado River, fish
from a pier, bicycle on nature trails, or picnic. Come and enjoy Wharton.
Dinosaur Park is located on the west end of Riverfront Park in
downtown Wharton along the bank of Colorado River. The park
features a life size dinosaur sculpture. Wharton is truly a green city.